Sunday, February 27, 2011

Breaking the Rules of Fashion

Perhaps the most valuable lesson from Glenn O'Brien is the importance of a restrained disregard for established rules of fashion.  Indeed, these experiments, as I call them, are the prerequisites to evolution in style.  What is considered daring one day, is widely accepted the next, and becomes expected shortly thereafter.  The no-sock look is one example; slim ties another.  I have attempted to initiate a few of my own, and will share some of them on here.

I.  The Snap Collar Oxford

This shirt, being already a rarity, has a snap button feature at the collar that enables the tie to be worn at an arc:



I became very much interested in this look, and currently own three snap-collar shirts.  But I have begun to button my snap collar over the tie rather than behind it.  This look is so rare and unacceptable that I cannot find any pictures of it.  But I am sure that you get the idea.  It eliminates the stylish arc, to be sure, but it has the advantage of keeping the tie buttoned down and thus serves as a sort of ersatz tie clip.  It is also a very bold look because the button snap is now readily discernible to passersby.

II.  The new department store sportcoat

Most sportcoats available at large department store include a tag containing the brand name sewn onto one of the sleeves near the wrist:


The tag here appears on the left sleeve of the jacket.  I currently own two sportcoats that still have this tag sewn onto it.  My father inadvertently introduced me to the idea by insisting that I leave the side pockets sewn up.  He would say that whatever you cannot fit into your trouser pockets should not be carried around anyway.  I heeded his advice but went a step further and decided to leave the name brand tag as well.  This is a very bold look because people will invariably mistake this style choice for negligence.

2 comments:

  1. Reading this post only compel's me to say that you should stop giving style advice. Leaving the tag is pure negligence.

    You can learn a thing or two from this blog: Thestyleblogger.com

    Thank you,
    DJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. DJ,

    I would encourage you to choose your words more carefully. I noted in my post that this style choice only "appears" negligent; but remember that any deliberate choice cannot be negligent because negligence implies that the act was done unintentionally or without diligence.

    ReplyDelete