Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Romance of the French

"Were I (who to my cost already am
One of those strange, prodigious creatures, man)
A spirit free to choose, for my own share,
What case of flesh and blood I pleased to wear"
... I'd be a Parisian! 

I try to avoid cultural generalizations unless, of course, they come as a panegyric.  I have always found romance and beauty in all things French.  There is a certain playful insouciance to their lifestyle that I find so charming.  Consider this video, which very nicely contrasts the intellectual seriousness and cultural sterility of American sensibilities against the pleasurable and gregarious behavior of the Parisians in the late eighteenth century:




Or this video on the beautiful sonority of the French language:

No comments:

Post a Comment